Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Character Traits We Will Focus On

Part of our time together will be spent discussing character traits and encouraging the children to hone these traits in themselves as they leave our time together.

We will have a character trait each week, along with a Bible verse that will correspond with the character trait.

Here is the list that we will follow:

Attentive: Listening with my eyes, ears and heart.

"Listen, my child, to what your father teaches you. Don't neglect your mother's teaching."
-Proverbs 1:8

Behave: Doing what you are told with a happy heart.

"Children, do what your parents tell you. This is only right."
- Ephesians 6:1


Contentment: Happy with what I have.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." -Philippians 4:11

Diligence: Working hard to finish something.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart." -Colossians 3:23

Encourage: Showing support for others with words and actions.

"So encourage each other and build each other up." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Forgive: Choosing to forget if someone has hurt me.

"Be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ." - Ephesians 4:32

Gentleness: Giving a kind answer if someone is mean to me.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." - Proverbs 15:1

Honesty: Speaking the truth in love.

"Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies." - Psalm 34:13

Innocent: Keeping away from evil.

"Little children guard yourselves from idols." - 1 John 5:21

Kindness: Doing something to bring happiness to others.

"And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." - Hebrews 13:16

Love: To treasure others more than yourself.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." -John 15:12

Memorize: Learning God's word and keeping it in my heart.

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." - Psalm 119:11

Nice: Treating others how you would want to be treated.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." - Leviticus 19:18

Order: Keeping everything in its place.

"But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." - 1 Corinthians 14:40

Patience: Waiting with a happy heart.

"Be patient, bearing with one another in love." - Ephesians 4:2

Quiet: To be still and silent.

"Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still." - Psalm 4:4

Respectful: Showing someone they are worthy of my attention.

"Show proper respect to everyone." - 1 Peter 2:17

Self-control: Being careful with my words and actions.

"I will be careful how I act and will not sin by what I say." - Psalm 39:1

Thankfulness: Being grateful and saying so.

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good." -Psalm 118:1

Unity: Living at peace with one another.

"How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" - Psalm 133:1

Victorious: Resisting temptation and turning from sin.

"Victory is through our Lord Jesus Christ." - 1 Corinthians 15:57

Wisdom: Thinking God's way.

"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." - Proverbs 9:10

eXcellence: Doing my very best.

"Follow God's example in everything you do, because you are his dear children." - Ephesians 5:1

Yielding: To live God's way and not my own way.

"Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." - James 4:7

Zealous: To do something with my whole heart.

"I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands." - Psalm 119:10




1 comment:

  1. I love your list and the Bible verses that go with it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete